This refreshing recipe by Jane Pettigrew came to us by way of Joanna Pruess. It works beautifully as a salad or a dessert. If you are serving this as a dessert, Joanna pairs it with a black tea and cranberry biscotti or a ginger spice cookie.
Green Fruits in Jasmine Tea Syrup
- 1 Small Saucepan
- 1 Strainer
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 Microplane For zesting limes
- 2 teaspoons jasmine tea leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar white
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces seedless green grapes stemmed, washed and halved
- 1 honeydew melon diced or scooped into balls
- 3 kiwi peeled and sliced
- fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Bring 1/3 cup of water just to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the jasmine tea, remove the pan from the heat, and steep for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Strain into a clean pan, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible, and discard the tea leaves.
- Add the sugar and lime zest to the pan. Over medium heat, stir until the sugar dissolves, then bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the syrup for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Place the kiwi, melon, and grapes in a serving bowl and pour on the syrup.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before serving, toss gently, and garnish with mint.